- Meet Nneka NwokoloNneka Nwokolo is a Consultant Physician in Sexual Health and HIV Medicine.
Nneka completed her specialist training at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and was appointed a consultant in 2003. She has extensive experience in the management of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV and is the lead author of the UK national chlamydia treatment guidelines. She is particularly interested in the management of chronic and recurrent problems, such as genital herpes, recurrent thrush and bacterial vaginosis, as well as the management of complex infections, such as syphilis and antibiotic resistant gonorrhoea. Her research interests include HIV treatment and prevention, and the use of rapid diagnostic tests to reduce the time to diagnosis and treatment of STIs. She has also published extensively in medical journals.
Nneka is known for her sensitivity and discretion. Many people feel embarrassed talking about their sexual health, or about the possibility that they might have an infection. Nneka’s kind and open minded attitude puts patients at ease and enables them to speak frankly about their concerns without fear of judgment or blame.
Nneka is passionate about the idea that everyone should have access to excellent sexual health care and education. She is a frequent speaker at national and international conferences and is often invited to speak to patient groups and medical practitioners, including GPs.
- Diagnosis and treatment of STIs and HIV
- Full range of contraception (pills, patches, rings, injections, implants and hormonal and non-hormonal intrauterine devices)
- Management of the menopause (lifestyle advice and provision of HRT)
- HIV pre- and post-exposure prophylaxis.